What sets MUA apart from other medical schools? Quite simply, a laser focus on the key fundamentals: excellent and engaged faculty, small class sizes, a modern campus, a wide range of clinical affiliations, a tightly knit student body and a cost-effective tuition. It’s that simple.
- Modern Systems-Based Curriculum: MUA’s academic program is based on the modern systems-based approach in use at top U.S. medical schools. Diverse learning opportunities include interactive lectures, small-group work sessions, individual and group presentations, team-based learning, and simulations with standardized patients, ensuring students get the comprehensive perspective they need to achieve their learning goals.
- Residency Success: MUA students achieve residency placements at a rate comparable to many U.S. medical schools, and significantly higher than U.S. graduates of other international medical schools.
- Supportive Environment: MUA’s small class sizes and high faculty-to-student ratio creates a supportive learning environment that helps students succeed. When you attend MUA, you are known by the faculty and are an integral part of a tight-knit community dedicated to your success. In addition, there is a core group of students matriculating from the MUA pre-medical program who are well versed in life on the island and the demands of the Basic Sciences program. This nucleus is always welcoming and ensures a high level of class camaraderie from the outset.
- U.S. Approvals: MUA is one of the few Caribbean schools approved by the key U.S. states of New York and Florida.
- Affordability: MUA is the least expensive medical school eligible for U.S. federal student loans—so students graduate with less debt and less restrictions on where, and in what specialty, they can practice.
- USMLE Success: MUA students have a first-time pass rate on the critically important USMLE Step 1 exam that's the equal of U.S. medical schools.
- Advanced Campus: MUA has high-tech classrooms, hands-on labs, and simulation activities with the latest multimedia, instructional technology.
- We Know Canada: MUA has a top track record of securing clinical rotations and residencies in Canada.
- On-Campus Pre-Med Program: MUA’s pre-med program is taught by the same faculty, and in the same facilities, as our med school program, allowing a seamless transition between programs.
- Ideal Location: MUA is on Nevis, a beautiful island that offers the perfect blend of tranquility and activity, is easy to get to, and has an island hospital where MUA students can get clinical experience early in their basic sciences study.
"The teachers at MUA were very supportive, very approachable. Some of them are on my Facebook. That's how close we've become!"
—Mamoona Rafiq, MD
2014 MUA Graduate
Residency: Family Medicine
University of Toronto